----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2001 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Perfect 8.1 install but...

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:31:48 -0000
> "Steve Maytum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words
to ponder:

> > Firstly , i hope this is a good time of year for everyone! Enjoy the
break
> > if you've got one. When possible can anyone help with this problem.
> >  Upgraded to 8.1 (all installed O.K.) i have a cable modem on my
machine.
> > Linux found and used this with no problem. i have two NIC's installed
for
> > home network which i run under the other OS for a home network for kids.
> >  Install asked me to set these up and provide IP addresses for them.
With no
> > networking experience i did my best.
> >  Used 'net O.K. and shut down all processes (i thought). When PC was
shut
> > down an error must have occurred as machine stuck shutting down etho1.
> >  Reinstalled and changed setup for NIC, when i shut down machine showed
> > shutting down etho0.
> >  Dislike this intensely.
> >  Reinstalled 7.0 so i can use my Linux and request help for IP setup or
> > suggestions for solutions.
> >  Any help greatly appreciated. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Steve,
>
> when you shut the machine down it's normal for the machine to "shut down"
eth0 and eth1 or however ethernet interfaces it has. this is normal
behavior. If you watch when it starts back up you'll notice messages to the
affect that it's starting interface eth0 and so on.

> the short answer to this is use the connection sharing setup wizard to
help configure your nics and get everything setup. the longer explanation is
below. when you start the setup wizard give the first nic 192.168.0.1 and
the second 192.168.1.1.

> normally the IP you want to use for the first nic (eth0) would be
192.168.0.1 and you can use the  192.168.1.1 for the second nic (eth1).

> your range for the first nic might be something like 192.168.0.3 -
192.168.0.10. (192.168.0.2 being reserved for your nameserver) And while I'm
thinking about it make sure you've turned off ypbind and yppasswd. You don't
need them and if they're on will give you no end of grief. They're setup to
start automagically by default.

> your subnet for the second card as I stated previously would be
192.168.1.1 and your range could be 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.255 with your
subnet mask 255.225.255.0 or 24. using the latter would look something like
this:

> 192.168.0.1/24 = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
>
> Any machines out on your LAN would be of the second subnet. i.e.
192.168.1.x/24

> /etc/resolve.conf might look something like this:
>
> ================== begin /etc/resolv.conf example =====================
> # search yourhost.org your-isp.net
> # search yourhost.org
> search your-isp.net
>
> nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # primary isp dns server
> nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # secondary isp dns server
> nameserver 192.168.0.2    # your local dns server
>    # local nameserver is necessary for your LAN
>    # to enable good local communications
>
> # ppp temp entry
> # your dialer normally places entries here, however, I've found the best
> # performance to happen after all connections are up and running including
> # the LAN to make this file chmod 444 so that it's no longer a writable #
file and therefore undergoes no more changes.

Merry Christmas to you Mark! Thanks for your reply and info. Would the
machine normally just sit shutting down eth0? PC never reaches end of
cycle - hence problems with inodes on startup. Sorry if i should know , but
i'm a very inexperienced newbie . Regards [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----