Antonio Sousa wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have installed Mandrake 8.1. When it boots it sends the folowing message:
> LDM:Unable to read partition table. After all it boots, but i don't have
> access to my CDRW.
> Can anyone help me? What can i do?
> Thanks
> Antonio

Antonio, you have to tell the kernel, that your CD-writer is a
SCSI-device (they all are !).
Accordingly, you have to add a statement to your "/etc/lilo.conf" -
file, for example :

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount "
        vga=791
        read-only

the important line here being : append= "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
devfs=mount".
As you can see, I've two CD-drives (hdc and hdd), both acting as
SCSI-devices.
To clarify things :
Your hard drive (C in windows-lingo) is probably hda ("master" on first
IDE-bus)
Your "slave" on the same IDE-bus is hdb (that one is empty on my system,
as you can see)
Your "master" on the second IDE-bus is hdc (I use this for my first
CD-ROM)
Your "slave" on the second IDE-bus is hdd (I use this for my CD-Writer).

Antonio, try to edit your "etc/lilo.conf" (as root), and save it. That
done you MUST remember to issue the command : "lilo"  (as root and
without the ""-marks).Then reboot, and everything should be fine.
If you run into trouble, please attach your "etc/lilo.conf" and
"/etc/fstab" - files in your reply.

Kaj Haulrich