First of all, thanks a ton for all the suggestions, but I still cannot connect
to apache, telnet, ftp or ssh. Heck I can't even ping the LM8.1 computer from
another machine either over the internet (ppp0) or over the lan (eth0) but
internet masquerading works just fine.

All the appropriate services are up and running nothing can connect to them
though unless I flush the iptables firewall rules and set all the policy
defaults to allow.

There are no entries at all in hosts.allow or hosts.deny and the services i
want to allow connections to are all listed in the bastille-firewall.cfg file
in the correct places.

Everything can be connected to from the localhost as well, just not over the
internet (for 21, 22, and 80) or over the ethernet (for 21, 22, 23, and 80).

Anyone have any more suggestions?
Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Grant Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One more thing. Is ssh running? Try opening a console and log in as root.
type
> service sshd start
> see if sshd is part of your boot up process.
>
> On Monday 24 December 2001 15:19, you wrote:
> > Try this:
> > In your bastille-firewall.cfg file add ssh to your INTERNAL_INTERFACES=
> > part. Just keep re-reading the notes until you think you got it. In order
> > to enable ssh and port 22 to be seen on the internet I added "22+ ssh+"
> > the trusted intefaces. There is a whole Q&A section at the bottom as
well.

> > TRUSTED_IFACES="lo"
> > PUBLIC_IFACES="eth+ ppp+ slip+"
> > INTERNAL_IFACES="eth0+ ssh+"
> >
> > On Monday 24 December 2001 06:15, you wrote:
> > > Some further information on this problem.
> > >
> > > There are no entries in either the /etc/hosts.deny or hosts.allow
files.
> > > So this isnt causing the problem.
> > >
> > > I can perform an iptables -F and then set all the default policies back
> > > to accept and everything works fine. Of course this leaves me with no
> > > firewall too. So it looks like it is some firewalling rule that is
> > > causing the problem.
> > >
> > > I attached a copy of my bastille-firewall.cfg file to see if anyone
sees
> > > a problem with it. I don't see anything in there that could be causing
> > > this.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Ian K. Harrell
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]