David Bovill wrote:

>The instructions I have say download the 2 RPM's (source and header), but I
>just need to add a custom kernel based on the existing configuration.  How
>do I go about this, as the packages are already installed?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David

file:/usr/share/doc/mandrake/en/ref.html/index.html

as a url in your favorite browser should open the reference manual on
your machine.

There is a step-by-step in chapter 15 (8.0) and chapter 16 (8.1) on
compiling the kernel.  If you want to customize the one already there,
follow the text skipping the download instructions and jumping to
/usr/src/linux.  BE really careful to assign a different build number to
the vmlinuz product and the /lib/modules entry so you don't trample what
you already have--once you are done, both should be bootable and in fact
you should be able to use Control Center to make a boot configuration
for your kernel.

Civileme