Roland Berger wrote:

> When I try to install ML8.0 I get the following problem. First I describe
>the installation steps I did.
>
>- CD is deteced as a boot cd. System tells that drive letter is mapped to A
>and the floppy is now B
>
>-The Mandrake welcome screen is displayd where you can choose to press F1 or
>ENTER. I choose ENTER to start installatin.
>
>- Some messages are displayed. The last one before the probelm appears is:
>"Welcome to Linux Mandrake (8.0) ....
>
>- Then: "Please wait Installing Adaptec¦AHA-2940U2"
>
>- Then: "> Error! No CDROM device found"
>
>After this a list of 34 driver is displayed to choose the driver with which
>the SCSI Adapter can be accessed. Non of the diplayed drivers works.
>
>It looks like it can read from the CDROM in a first step but after
>installing the Adpatec Driver it fails to do so. That's very strange to me.
>
>So, does any body know the source of the problem?
>Would ML8.1 solve this problem?
>
>Best regards
>Roland

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

There was a change in the adaptec driver in 8.0 because Adaptec changed
its firmware.

Not all adaptec cards are flashable for the new firmware and there is a
driver called aic7xxx_old in /lib/modules once you are installed.

The first boot is from the BIOS and the second stage is from the kernel
loaded in with a driver incompatible with your card's firmware.

Look in /images/alternatives for cdrom.img-2.2.19...BADZ5 and make a
boot floppy from it, then use the boot floppy to get 8.0 installed....

Or,

If you decide to use 8.1, the newer driver for adaptec _may_ have
unified your card as well (some yes, some no, there have been more than
150 PROM versions of 2940s) but if not, boot from the second CD and
choose an alternate image.

Civileme