Jamie Fowlie wrote:
> Present setup:
>
>  Internet <----> ROUTER (212.51.61.xxx) <-------> NT Server NIC 1
> (212.51.61.xxy)
>                                                                         NT Server
>NIC 2 (10.10.10.1) <-------> Linux/PCs(10.10.10.n)
>
> (Windows NT is running WINROUTE lite to handle portmapping)
>
> Desired:
>
> Internet <----> ROUTER (212.51.61.xxx) <-------> Linux FIREWALL NIC 1
> (212.51.61.xxy)---->All servers/PCs (10.10.10.n)
>
> Question: Is it absolutely necessary to have two NICs in my firewall box?

Yes!  (Aside: I presume you are using 10(or 100)BaseT (twisted pair) and
you have a hub, switch, or similar to connect all your servers, but the
answer is the same if you are using coax (10Base2).)  Think of the
Firewall as a filter.  It prevents certain traffic on one side of it
from getting to the other side.  If you have only one NIC, the traffic
appearing on one side that you don't want to get to the other side is
all on one NIC -- i.e., it gets to both sides and the firewall is not
doing it's job.

Randy Kramer