Hi All,

Short version: I need a general methodology for determining what
resources my peripherals are using; i.e. a list of files to
examine or diagnostics to run that will tell me that my soundcard
is using IRQ n / port m / DMA x / whatever y, my modem is using
IRQ etc etc....

Long version: I'm running LM7.2 on an Asus/K7 platform with Winders
Me in another set of partitions.  When I set this thing up I had a
lot of trouble with the modem; finally got it working by forcing
(via BIOS changes) the PCI slot the modem inhabits to use IRQ10
instead of allowing it to autoconfigure, and reflecting this change
in my setserial command (also sets it to tty4).

This mobo has onboard sound, so rather than invest in a soundcard I
just used that.  Winders liked that fine, but LM never saw it.  So
recently I bought a SoundBlaster 16, and finally installed it over
the weekend.  Winders likes this too; no problems there.

On the Linux side, however, the modem has quit responding.  The
sound card was detected and set up by sndconfig, and I do get sound,
but for some reason sndconfig thinks it's an Ensonic.

Obviously there's some sort of conflict.  So what I need to do is
either change the modem settings (in which case I need to know what
IRQs/ports/etc are free), change the SoundBlaster settings (in which
case I need to know the same *plus* the extra SB parameters for snd-
config), or ... well, or something else, you tell me.

Any help?  Thanks in advance....

Mark Shaw