Well the error you quoted says that iso9660 is not supported by the kernel.
Did you create a custom kernel? CD-ROM support must, I think, be explicitly
excluded from a default configuration.

Of course, I was about to say get a generic kernel from the distro CD ...

If you have the package manager installed, I believe it will connect via
Internet to the Mandrake site and show available packages, one of which I
would imagine would be CD-ROM support.

Someone with more experience than me should be able to add more details here.

julian.