Eric Budinger wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Well I got my box backup and working. Now here is my other problem. I
> have only 7.9 megs left on /dev/hda1 which is my root... my /home has
> over 300 megs. I have a several hundred meg hard drive sitting here
> that I want to install and run the programs off that. What would be
> easier? Taking my entire /home and moving it to the new hard drive and
> re-partitioning my box or what? Any tips? Ideas?Etc? Thanks a ton!
>
> Eric

Well surgery on / is very difficult, because you cannot unmount it from
a running system. You have several options...

Method A:

If /usr is a subdirectory of / instead of a separately mounted
partition, you can move that to the second disk if there is room--Here's
how:

1. Put in your second disk

2. boot

3. when you get to the GUI run Mandrake Control
Center=>Hardware=>MountPoints

4. When diskdrake comes up, save your partition table to floppy and make
a partition on the second disk called /spusr ,,, When you exit, make
sure you answer the "save changes to /etc/fstab with a yes, and also
make sure you format and mount the partition.

5. after exiting diskdrake, bring up a terminal and

$ su
password(your root password)

# cp -a /usr/* /spusr
# kedit /etc/fstab
change the line where /spusr is defined to /usr save and exit
# mkdir /oldusr
# mv /usr /oldusr
# umount /spusr
# mount /usr

Almost done--now recover the space

# rm -r /oldusr -f

And now you should have much roon in /

Method B:

It may be that there isn't sufficient room on the new drive or that /usr
is already separated.
Either...
1. Make room for / by moving those things right after it (by Method A)
2. Install the rpm ext2resize from your distribution disks using
Software Manager
3. In a terminal as root run the command
ext2end / +(blocks to add) (this can be done while it is live and mounted)
OR
separate /var from / which will also create space (method A)

Almost any other moves will require a reinstallation.

Civileme