I don't have a winmodem with the Lucent chipset (mine uses PCTel), but even
after the drivers are installed, you still have to configure the irq and
stuff.  Usually, if this is incorrect, you will get a device/busy error
message.  The easiest way to configure the modem (after the drivers are
installed) is to open up a terminal or command shell, is an su command to
change to root and run modemconf.  Select the option to "detect" and it
should do the rest.  In case the drivers that came with mandrake are faulty,
you can go to linmodems.com and get the latest ones (and directions).

Joe