Hi,
        I am currently running (very successfully) LM 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 8000.
However my vid card is not one that you require. There is much information on
the linux/laptop issue here... http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
FYI, I dual boot linux and win2k but I find that the laptop is much faster
and more productive running linux and linux apps. My laptop time runs about
98% linux - 2% windows.
        My onboard lan includes a winmodem, which remarkably is supported and
functional. But the lan was recognized and setup out of the box on
installation of Mandrake.
        Best of luck with your choice!

hth,
Bill W.