On Friday 04 January 2002 00:44, you wrote:
> I have an Athlon 800 and my kernel following installation is set at an
> x686 processor. Is there any real advantage by re-setting the kernel to
> the Athlon/Duron setting?
>
> Nev

Frankly, very nominal at best, using Athlon arch can actualy have adverse
affects on your performance if something isn't just tweaked correctly
(speaking in terms of hardware not software).  There was a heavy discussion
on the lkml sometime back, and I was somewhat surprised when RedHat chose to
include an Athlon optimized kernel in their default install of 7.2.

I see no speakable difference between my Mandrake 8.1 using i686 arch and my
RedHat 7.2 install using the Athlon kernel. NOTE: They are different kernel
versions, but thats a different story all together.  Once again, I belive it
to be nominal if _any_ gain what-so-ever.

cheers
deg