I am running 8.1
I have used MandrakeUpdate and selected the 3 categories (Bug fixes,
Normal, Security). I installed everything except the Kernels (3 packages).
After that, once rebooting, the following happens:

        1.      During boot the network is available (I can ping the Linux
                machine from outside). As soon as the Login Screen becomes
                available (or shortly after) the network is unreachable.
                The Linux machine is not visible from outside and it
                cannot reach other machines.
                But it can ping itself (using 192.168.0.1 or the machine
                name).

        2.      The Graphical Login wants to reconfigure my desktop as if
                it was the first time. When I select the first step (the
                KDE desktop but it is the same with Gnome), then the NVidia
                screen appears and I am prompted again with the Login
                Screen.

                The only way I can access my system is via a non-graphical
                console

Could someone tell me if I did something wrong when I used MandrakeUpdate
(I mean, should i only have used the "Security" category ???) or
if this problem was exprimented by other people?

How could I get a working system back (other than re-installing
MDK 8.1 again) ?

Thanks a lot. Best regards

/stefano