Andre Dubuc wrote:

> I just installed kernel 2.4.8-31.2 to upgrade from 2.4.3-20. Later. I tried
> to install kernel 2.4.17.1-1 which did not install, because of failed
> dependencies.
>
> On reboot, I noticed a few error messages during boot-up. I wonder what they
> mean, and whether they're serious:
>

>       Change_root: old root has d_count= 2
>       Trying to unmount old root  . . . <3>error -16
>       Change root to /initrd: error -2
>

> Everything seems to be working OK with the 2.4.8-31.2 kernel. I'm
> wondering whether these error messages were generated by the .17 kernel?
>
> Is there any possibility that the attempt to install the .17 kernel has left
> a "residue" that is messing something up? Do I need to "uninstall" it, even
> though it was never really "installed". If the .17 kernel attempt did
> interfere with the .8 kernel, should I uninstall & re-install it? What would
> the command be to uninstall?
>
> I'm rather new at kernel installation. In hindsight, I probably
> shouldn't have messed with the .17 kernel.
>
> Tia for any assistance on this,
> Regards,
> Andre

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Greetings,

I just learned today to fix the: Change root to /initrd: error -2 you
simply have to make a directory /initrd
as root

mkdir /initrd

will solve that error message. For the reason do a search of the
mandrake news group. I asked the question a little earlier in the
mailing list.
Thanks to the person who responded to my inquiry in the mandrake news
group. As for the other errors, I am not sure so hopefully a more
informed individual will help out on those.

Pat