On Saturday 12 January 2002 03:15, Mandrake Newbie wrote:
> Hello everybody!  =)
>
> My subject says it all but I need the comparison between the two
> based on which is more memory sucker.  I haven't tried OpenOffice
> 6.0 yet and I'm currently using StarOffice 5.2 and it's very slow
> to me.  My PC is an Intel Pentium III 800 Mhz, 384 MB SDRAM, 20 GB
> Seagate Barraccuda 7200 RPM on Mandrake 8.1.

On a box like that, nothing should run that slowly, but StarOffice
5.2 is by common consent one of the slowest programs outside 3D
animation rendering (Netscape 6.0 was strong competition at one time,
though!).  I'd say if you don't need the propietary features of SO,
Open Office is fine and should be faster.  SO 6.0 beta is also a
little faster.  You might also be able to speed things up by not
installing components you don't need, though I can't promise anything
here.

Robin

--
"One ping to rule them all, one ping to bind them" - Arya Stark

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey