On Saturday 12 January 2002 05:16 pm, NY-Bro wrote:
> I agree with u, no need to rip free software, but do u
> think I am going to pay whatever I have to pay to have
> Age of Emires, or MS Flight simulator? I am a very
> poor guy...

   If you hadn't mentioned MS Flight simulator I probly woudn'ta
responded.  FS won't run under any wine I've ever tried. To crack or
not is, and should be a personal, subjective decision.  And cracks can
run anywhere from eliminating the need to have the store bought CD in
the drive to run the game (like FS), to outright theft, with no
intention of ever buying, to even worse, selling of pirate copies.
  OTOH, ...

  There's more than one wine, comes in several flavors. Seems there's
the 'regular' wine that's released now'n then (the rpm is probly on
your ML CD's), the 'snapshot' (latest CVS) source version, specialized
distro versions, and codeweavers'. There probly more, but my best
experience has been with Codeweavers, even tho their version seems to
always be a little behind the latest release.
    http://wine.codeweavers.com/   Auto install, no need to edit a
wine.conf file, config is detected and generated (altho it ain't that
hard to do with 'regular' wine either). I'm currently usin
codeweavers-wine-20011108-5.i386.rpm  with good results for Apple's
QuickTime and M$ Auto Map on cooker ML 8.2 (~ 1/12/02).

  As to special distro versions of wine (like ML Gaming version), I
have no experience. Well, maybe other than like anything else, and it's
apparent to me anyhow, that changes (ie, kernel, kde/gnome/other WM,
libs, modules, apps, etc) on your basic Linux system will affect how
these sort'a kind'a borderline proprietary (eg, wine), to down right
evil B$ corrupt (eg, windoze stuff) apps will function under Linux.
IE, upgrade nVidia drivers... break what was a good workin wine. So a
specialized distro might have better control of this ... if you don't
ever change anything, and don't have any special hardware requirements.

  YMMV, but that's why I dual boot W98 to fly (M$FS) airplanes ;>

   .... with no M$ CD in the drive ;~>>
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas, USA