Hi again,

It is good to be back on the list again after an involuntary absence of over
five months, due to a certain unnamed moving company %$#!* that couldn't
figure out to deliver my families things, including our computers. I have
tried to do a dual install (Win98 SE (UK)/Mandrake) on my daughter's
Fujitsu/Siemens Celvin EasyPC (legacy free). The EasyPC has no serial or
parallel ports. Everything, including floppy drive, keyboard, etc. is USB
based.

All went fine until monitor and video card config (expert mode). Mandrake
reported the card as an SiS 620, while in Win it is listed as a SiS 530. The
monitor is an IBM P50. No configuration of monitor worked correctly with
either video card setting. Everything else worked amazingly well, including
access to an HP DeskJet 660 C over a USB/parallel adapter and Wacom Tablet
(USB) drivers. Looked in the archives and found no mention of Celvin, EasyPC
or legacy free. Any ideas or advice?

The second issue is that I would like the Celvin to serve Apple Talk, but I
don't believe that the macutils in the Mandrake 8 Power Pack is enough to do
this. I seem to remember that I need to install some sort of Apple Talk
server, but I don't believe it is on the CD's Help anyone?

The third and following issue is OT, but has relevance for all on the list
trying to understand how X and Linux works:

I have a question about entering monitor resolutions in "advanced" mode in
Yellow Dog Linux version 2.0 on a UMAX Pulsar, which is a Macintosh computer
clone. I am determined to get this to work, and yes I know that the Pulsar
isn't supported. However, everything seems to work fine in the install, but
I keep getting hung up on monitor resolution. There is no test mode as in
many Linux flavors and something doesn't work right with the video card
(Matrox Millennium) and monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display)
combination. In Mac OS 9.1, the monitor resolution is usually set at 832x624
resolution at 75Hz, but settings show that I also could set the monitor at
832x624 resolution at 85Hz, 800x600 resolution at 85Hz, 1024x768 resolution
at 60, 67, 74.9 or 85Hz or at 640x480 resolution at 60 or 85Hz.

I have the alternative of creating monitor prefs in YDL in advanced mode,
but I admit that I don't fully understand it. In advanced mode, I am
required to fill in a cluster of numbers, four for horizontal resolution and
a cluster of four numbers for vertical resolution. If we take my default
resolution in OS 9.1, this would look like this:

Horizontal resolution:  832  000  000  000 (they can also be 4 digit #'s)
Vertical resolution:    624  000  000  000

The first number is the resolution in pixels, where as the second and third
represent sync pulse. The fourth represents frame length or border width. I
may also need to know the dot clock resolution and refresh rate (requires X
dot clocks). According to the manual, the Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display
has a resolution range of 640 x 480 to 1024 x 768 and with a 0.28 mm dot
pitch, but is dot pitch the same as dot clock?

The problem is that I do not know where to get the information I need to
fill in the other numbers for horizontal and vertical rez, as well as dot
clock (should I need it) for an Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display.

Help, please! I have been working off and on with this issue for months now!

Cheers,

Brian