On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 11:05, Todd Slater wrote:
> I just got my cable modem running under 8.1. I set up a firewall (Tiny
> firewall) via the Control Center. I'm not running a web or mail server
> or anything. Is this adequate?
>
> Also, what is good for virus scanning? I didn't find any virus scanner
> on the download edition cds.

There are lots of network scanners available. Saint is a good one, it
has a web-based interface and provides a pretty good summary report of
anything it finds. There is some flexibility in how you want it to scan,
but not a lot. Enough for most people, I suspect.

Unless you are running a mail server for Windows clients (esp. Outlook),
you won't need a virus scanner. There are only a handful of known
viruses for Linux, and Mandrake 8.1 is not vulnerable to any of them
(because the security problems have already been fixed).

Dave
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.