On Monday 14 January 2002 11:00, NY-Bro wrote:
|  I have the microsoft "IntelliMouse Optical PS/2" Under
|  LM 8.1 I cant get the middle button to work. I've
|  tried to configure it under drakconf but i cant get
|  linux to see the middle button. I would appreciate
|  some directions on how to set this up.

I'm not sure if this works with the optical mouse but I know it definitely
works with the MS (Intellimouse) Cordless Wheel Mouse:

Install imwheel, its on your cds.  In your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file make
the following changes so that it looks like this:

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"       "4 5"
#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

#    Option "ChordMiddle"

EndSection

Be sure to comment out the "Emulate..." lines as above.

In /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc - add the following line to the bottom of the
file:
imwheel

Copy /etc/X11/imwheelrc to ~/.imwheelrc

Log out of X then restart X and the scroll wheel should work.

Before you edit your files you should make backup copies.  Also, a lot of
people will disagree with using imwheel because it has caused some people
grief - in my case, the scroll wheel just won't work without imwheel.

HTH
skinky
--
oxymoron:  Microsoft Works