Hello,

        I just read Derek J.'s message about how to make Software Manager update its
database so I can start browsing the list of packages on my cds or the web.
I assume that this is done before looking at the cds so that any newer
versions be found.  So is the Software Manager smart enough to know that if
I am looking at foobar 1.2.03-3 on cd#4 and foobar 1.4..07-5 is available
through the update to tell me this or somehow stop me from installing an old
(but newer than what is already installed) version from the cds?

        Also is it smart enough not to let me install either version of foobar if
foobar 2.0.2 is already installed (or at least warn me that I'm about to go
backwards)?

        I have looked at the cds a little bit in the last couple of days and would
like to try the update but want to know for sure I understand how it is going
to behave (or not).

        Last question:  I know not to try to update my kernel using this method.
Are there any other files/programs that I can't update with the Software
Manager or warnings such as not updating the desktop I'm currently logged
into?  I believe I read that it doesn't actually count until the file in
question is reloaded (as in a reboot) but am not sure.
--
        Wes Gregg
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]