I had the same problems and found some work-arounds (not real fixes):
1.  Download the initscripts RPM from the MandrakeUpdate *bug fixes*
section.  It mentions that supermount init scripts were miscoded.  This
won't fix all of supermount's problems, however.  Hopefully, 8.2 will do
that.
2.  8.1 changes your CD device name from "cdrom" to "cdrom0" and the links
between the two are buggy.  No matter how many times I "fix" the cdrom link,
some script somewhere returns the buggy one.
3.  fscd (the file name of "CD Player" in KDE) lists your CD player as
/dev/cdrom in its options dialog box.  On my machine, CD Player would crash
every time I tried to change this option from within the CD Player program.
I checked in DrakeHard (or HardDrake?) and saw that my Cd was named
/dev/hdc.  So, I found the config file for kscd (can't recall now where it
was ... I'm not at that machine right now... used the "find" function and
searched for *kscd*) and used an editor to change the device name, by hand,
from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc.  Rebooted the machine and... the angels were
singing!
4.  Grip, another CD player, needs options set on the command that starts
it.  Use the KDE menu editor to locate Grip so that you can see the
properties of the startup icon (icons that fly out of the "K" menu won't let
you see properties).  Add -d /dev/hdc (or whatever your CD is called in
HardDrake) to the start-up line for Grip, save and reboot.  It should work,
too.

Problems seems to lie with device names and links between them.  They get
confused in upgrades to 8.1.

Mike