PG> Hello!

PG> I sent this mail yesterday but didn't get it back from the list,
PG> so maybe it hasn't been sent properly. Sorry if you get it twice,
PG> and sorry also for the two following messages!

PG> I have a problem installing Mandrake on a new machine.
PG> I bought a TNT2 board. I could use the installer so basically
PG> it works in a low resolution / low color definition mode.
PG> When the X server starts, or just before it starts, the text mode
PG> screen flashes, The period of the flashes is about a second,
PG> it lasts for about 1 minute, and after that it says something
PG> like: respawning too fast. Stop for 5 minutes.
PG> At that point, I can log in text mode and perform all operations
PG> you can perform in text mode. 5 minutes later, it retries to launch
PG> X, flashes again, and then stops for another 5 minutes.

PG> I have tried to download the latest TNT driver. On the same
PG> page, there is also a linux kernel that I have downloaded and
PG> installed. The symptoms are exactly the same.

PG> I am almost sure the problem is within the driver because:

PG> 1. The TNT board does not work on another Mandrake 8.1 machine
PG> after replacing its card and drivers;
PG> 2. The TNT board works perfectly with BeOS in full color, 1280x1024.

PG> Any hint to solve this problem?

PG> Thanks,

PG> Pascal

 Your card seems to be ok, just the drivers might be installed wrong.
 Make sure you have installed the nvidia driver correctly on linux.

 In the nvidia's official pages, there are 2 drivers, a glx rpm and a
 kernel rpm (not kernel, but an addon for kernel). Make sure that you
 install them both. Keep in mind that if you changed your kernel to
 one other than the official mdk kernel, you must update your
 nvidia-kernel-driver.

 For your question, if I remember right, try booting in console mode.
 Like if you are using lilo to boot, try to boot with "linux 3", and
 then login, and type "startx". This should do all the work about
 "respawning too fast) if the drivers are set up correct.

 I advice you check madnrakeuser.org, mandrakeforum.com and the
 archives of this list, this subject has been discussed many times.

 Onur Kucuk