nope, I tried 32 bit, the dangerous white-out on LCD still happened, the machine was
lock (dead, no
response to telnet from other machines even). I am not sure how to turn off the accel
for the driver,
and moreover, there are two drivers one is "ati", and the other is "r128", anybody
know which is
which?
8MB video ram is enough to do 32bit (Windozw can do that). I also tried the XF86Config
file from
DELL's website (it was for RH 7.1, but I assume it's ok for ML 8.1 per XFree86). I
almost want to
give up on this, it's so frustrating to see disk checking when rebooting the machine
from dead. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Machine: DELL Inspiron 4000, PIII CPU, 1GB RAM
V. Card: ATI Rage Mobility 128 with 8MB RAM
LCD screen (highest resolution: 1280x1024)
OS: Mandrake Linux 8.1
XFree86: version 4.1.0 (there is a 3.3.6 somehow by Mandrkae Control center, which is
XFdrake)

Jixian