Hi, I am having a really hard time setting up my network.  Please help!

I cannot setup my server or laptop with Mandrake Control Center (MCC) so
I need to find other tools.

First of all:

I have a box with two NICs that I would like to use as my
gateway/firewall.  Both NICs work (i can connect to the internet with
each of them seperately, just changing eth0 or eth1 in MCC)

But how do I set up my network?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this.

I would like to set up a dhcp server for ease, but don't know what is
most secure way of connecting (the network will eventually be wireless
as well.)

So what do I do now?

I configured the gateway box in MCC to have an IP, told it that the
gateway's IP was the same, and told it how to connect to the internet.
I also gave it a name.  But I can not use the connection sharing wizard
in MCC because even though my network cards work fine, HardDrake doesn't
recognize them as network cards (but as "other devices").  So the wizard
complains that there are no network cards setup.  Do I even need to use
this wizard to setup my gateway?

OK, step number two that I need help on:

My laptop:

I cannot use MCC on my laptop for internet setup because again, my
Xircom cardbus modem is not detected properly in it (although agian, it
works great).  So how do I get it connected to my network?  I can
connect the adsl modem to it directly and connect.

OK, quick rundown of questions for clarity:

1. Should I use DHCP or something more secure if I eventually plan to go
wireless (this week).

2. Now that I have both NICs in my gateway box and they can connect to
my ADSL modem, how do I set up my network?

3.  How do I connect my laptop to my network?

Thanks you sooo, so much for helping me out with this.  It's pretty
frustrating, because once i start working on it, it is hard to be on the
internet at the same time.

Thanks!

-paul r