From: tester [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 3:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie]

Paul Kraus wrote:

> Ok I need to be able to access / change MS Office Files. If I can do
> this accurtly then I can completely remove the need of Windows. Also
> there some kind of Term Emulator I can run? I need to attach to a unix

> host and have it support sco ansi ect. Any one have any good links to
> beginers info? I can get mandrake to run find now but I am very
> unclear as to what I am doing or why something worked. Installing
> software bewilders me. Rpm files install but then don't create any
> icons to load them. If I navigate to the bin directory I can find the
> executable but they are all in the directory. That seem rather
> troublesome when it come to organization. Thanks
>
> Paul Kraus
> Network Administrator
> PEL Supply Company
> (216) 267-5775 Voice
> (216) 267-6176 Fax
> www.pelsupply.com

> --

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

mandrake rpms load icons or put the programs on menus unless they are
designed to run from console.  Other rpms may or may not work, but rpm
protects against installing programs conflicting with those already
installed.

With dozens of vendors and thousands of program writers, it is
surprising that most programs do instll and work.

For MS Office files, you can use StarOffice which will handle them
mostly correctly.  Some others will as well, like HAncom Office; however

be advised that license agreements generally prohibit reverse
engineering for the purpose of importing data and as soon as UCITA
passes in Washington State, Microsoft will have the full force and
effect of law in those agreements--probably the end of compatibility
forever.

When you find the executable in the directory (and they should generally

install to /opt/(packagename) if they are compliant with the Filesystem
Huerarchical Standard) You can make that directory path and filename
into a command line for the icon you can create by right-clicking on the

desktop.  Further, inn the process of that icon creation, you can link
the application to specific mimetypes  (like soffice for .doc files).

The basic primers you seek are right on your system if you elected to
install documentation--

Civileme