I too would like to see this resolved once and for all.  I had no
problems with WordPerfect 8 until installing cooker, and am getting
the same Bus error message that you are getting.  I've posted this
problem in the Mandrake Open Forum, in the Mandrake usenet group and
in the Corel WordPerfect usenet group, but have gotten nowhere in
getting closer to resolving this problem.

I can't even successfully run "ldd /opt/wordperfect/wpbin/xwp"!  I
get the following error when I do:

/usr/bin/ldd: line 1: 11105 Bus error
LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS=1 LD_WARN= LD_BIND_NOW= LD_LIBRARY_VERSION=$verify_out
LD_VERBOSE= "$file"

Perhaps that error might give someone who knows much more than I, a
clue as to a resolution!

George