After the kind (and quick!) help from the list, I discovered that Apache was
already running on my system. However, it refuses to load PHP. This is
despite what I see at the top of the "Welcome" screen for Apache (aka httpd):

        "Running version Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.19 (Linux-Mandrake/3mdk)

                    mod_perl/1.25 PHP/4.04pl1"

Two php test scripts do not work. "Httpd -l" gives me "command not found in
bash" (either as root or user). I've read most of the on-line tutorials, but
they assume that I'm using a tarball and make.

These HOW-TO files for PHP assume that I'll be d/l, compiling, and installing
the various packages. They give voluminous instructions on a setup different
from my LM 8.0 rpm installation. (Httpd which runs Apache is installed in
/etc/httpd.) There are no hints what do to with a rpm installation that
doesn't work.

My httpd and php.conf look OK -- they appear to have all the required
modules. But I still can't access PHP since the commands "httpsdctl start"
"...stop" don't work. Nor can I find any reference to what they say (in a
How-To section called PHP installation *NIX) is "php.ini". (That suffix
sounds like a Windows file to me do). The bottom line is I don't know what is
wrong with my setup, since most commands to sleuth out the problem do not
work.

Perhaps some kind PHP/HTTP guru could point out where I'm going wrong or what
I'm missing.

Tia, Andre

--
Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember in your prayers the suffering souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly in His love!

For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/