On Sunday 27 January 2002 12:30, Vijay Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi.
>
> After upgrading to 8.1 from 8.0, I recently tried to access the cdrom, by
> inserting a cd and going to /mnt/cdrom. This caused ls to segv and the
> following message was in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jan 22 08:34:29 saraswati kernel: kernel BUG at super.c:274!
> Jan 22 08:34:29 saraswati kernel: invalid operand: 0000

[snip]

> The entire /mnt directory is not visible.
>
> I do have a usb printer attached.
>
> Any idea what's wrong? Is this a known problem, or should I report it as a
> kernel bug? If so, to whom?
>
> output of lspci, which doesn't show the device:
> [root@saraswati root]# lspci -vvv
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-751 [Irongate] System
> Controller (rev 23) Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV-
> VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF-
> FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 64

[snip]
> thanks,
> Vijay

What kernel are you using?  I had the same problem earlier (Oct last year)
which I _think_ was with kernel 2.4.8-26mdk.  When I searched the Mandrake
website I found that they had already been notified of the problem and were
at the time working on a fix.  They recommended booting with the
devfs=nomount option.  That certainly fixed my problem.

Although I'm using a newer kernel now, I can't say whether that problem still
exists in the newer kernels because I still boot with the devfs=nomount
option (I can't get the hang of devfs).

So I guess you could try editing your /etc/lilo.conf file and in the "append"
line add or change the devfs bit.  Good luck.

skinky
--
oxymoron:  Microsoft Works