You need some client utils installed. The safest way would be to use SSH if yur server
will accept it, failing that the really insecure way would be to use Telnet (the
passwords are sent plain text across the web). Anyway, whatever you decide, open the
software manager and search for either 'ssh' or 'telnet' with 'client' in the name.
Select which one you want and install it.

Whichever one you decided, open a new shell window, and enter 'ssh
latcs5.cs.latrobe.edu.au -l userid' or 'telnet latcs5.cs.latrobe.edu.au -l userid'.
The userid is the remote userid you have on the server. You will be asked to
authenticate yourself.

HTH
Dave,