here are some specs.
*Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz-133
*Intel 845E Chipset
*512 MB RAM
*80GB IDE HardDrive
*TNT2 – M64 32mb Video Card

*Linux Mandrake 7.0
*Linux-kernel 2.2.14

*I recently purchased a new PC and installed linux
Mandrake 7.0 using DrakeX.  The PC has been
partitioned as follows.
Win98 partition 5Gbytes
/boot
/ 17Gytes
swap 1024Mbytes
/home about 50Gbytes (the rest)

Description of Problem

When I try and install any additional packages within
linux using any one of the rpm package manages (i.e.
kpackage, drakerpm etc) I get an error reading:
‘package name’ is for a different architecture.

I’ve tried many packages that came within the CDs
(including i586 rpm files).  The same error was given
following each attempt.  In addition I uninstalled
several packages already installed during the DrakeX
installation and attempted to reinstalled them.  I got
the same problem.

I need to install additional packages in order to run
a research software package.

I don’t understand why I’m getting this architecture
incompatibility problem.  Is the Intel 845E chipset
incompatible with mandrake 7.0?   Do I need to upgrade
to Linux Mandrake 8.1?

I eagerly look forward to a reply.
Manuel

http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!