I have an SMP PIII system running Mandrake 8.1 with (was 512M ram) however
while working on an image in the GIMP i was shocked to discovered my ram was
at 99% and 7% swap. OK the image was 100M in size but what about the rest.
After i have finished and have closed down GIMP etc not all my ram returns.
Now i have added another 512 M of ram  the system is at 16% in use ... but if
i load a large image it goes well over the amount of it needs and after eg 87%
however once i close the image and gimp, ram seems only to go down to around
61%.
Is there a way to get all this now un-used ram back. On the Amiga there is a
command called "avail flush" which can get back un-used ram, is there
something on Linux to do this??
 David