well, I'm not talking from experience here....

but, my understanding is that open office is the ummmm...  i can't think of
the word.... it's StarOffice, at least originally, but the code is open to
the public to modify and improve.  so -- star office is only modifyed and
worked on by Sun, but open office is worked on by anyone who wants to get
involved.

am i right about that??

i have the files to install the latest open office, but i haven't done it or
tried it, simply because i have become attached to applix already and don't
feel like having to go thru another conversion.  by that i mean that my #1
use for my computer is writing, i am a writer.  under windows i used WordPro.
 when converting to linux finding a word processor was my greatest need.  at
the time i didn't know about open office.  i tried applix, star office 5.2,
koffice and abiword.  i decided on applix and now all my writing is in that
format.

if you are still looking for something you should check open office.  it may
be really good.  i think star office is getting better & better, and open
office might be even better simply because it is open to anyone to contribute.

it's free and you've nothing to loose.

adrian