On Friday 01 February 2002 12:08, you wrote:

Glibc is the core of the Linux operating system.  When you tinker with that,
you are basically tinkering with just about everything in the system.

I won't say that it can't be done, mainly because I've done it...with
previous distros.  But I will tell you that you're getting into a can of
worms here.  The dependencies will thread through a whole _bunch_ of packages
on your system.  To nutshell it, you will be using the --force option with
rpm quite a bit.  And of course, whenever you do that, you know that carries
a large amount of risk with regard to the working state of all packages
involved.  Which basically involves almost everything.

I'm not trying to discourage you here; in fact, I think you ought to try it.
There may be someone here who has had direct experience with glibc upgrades
and the Mandrake 8.0 distro; if so, I hope they will come forward.  For
myself, however, because of the snake bites I've had in the past with glibc
upgrades, I prefer to move to the next distro in line; in this case, Mandrake
8.1.

If you want a memorable experience, go the glibc upgrade route.  If you want
a time saving experience, go the route of the next highest stable distro.

Good luck...and maybe someone else here has a glibc magic wand for you.
Hopefully, anyway.