Yup, thats where I am now =D. Though Compaq never did send me just a windows
cd, I got a 3 cd compaq install, so anything normal window fixes hadn't
worked. Found and XP bootdisk image on the web, and went from there. Very
strangely the first 2 times I had done fdisk /mbr, the computer restarted
displaying only garbage symbols. *The trick was to fall asleep the third
time, in which I woke up to the awful windows tune, strange but true*

I am not concerned with running windows at the moment. I just want to get
Mandrake up and running. Also just a note, I tried grub that had no luck.

thanks