On Saturday 02 February 2002 01:26 am, shanon loveridge wrote:
>    I am currently going through my file system in
> order to learn more about linux and I have come across
> these two directories that are empty.
> /opt
> /initrd
> I was wondering if someone could tell me what they are
> for and if it will break anything if I remove them.

    I see you've received explaintion for /opt. /initrd shouldn't be
completely empty. It should have one file.  In a term, type
 ~ $ less /initrd/README.WARNING     or use an editor to read it.

    Now just in case this README is missing, here's what it says,
"(mkinitrd) Don't remove this directory, it's needed at boot time,
in the initrd, to perform the pivot_root."
--
    Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas, USA