On Sunday 03 February 2002 09:08 am, ed tharp wrote:
> this is code red or nimda worms (or some worm close to it) and the solution
> is to run linux. then, if you care, block the IP sending the requests.
> since you don't run IIS, you will not have a problem other than the
> bandwidth used by the rouge windox. you could try and figure out the admin
> e-mainl of the send (requester) and send them an e-mail letting them know
> they or dumd for using M$ on the net, and what they are doing. (since they
> most likely got no clue,)

Thanks to the many who responded. I e-mailed the ISPs, the offending IPs were
mostly part of RoadRunner. I got canned e-mails from them, ATT Broadband, and
rogers@home saying they were aware of the problem and working diligently to
correct it, that I should get the latest patches blah blah.

Anyway, it was suggested that I add the IP numbers to my hosts.deny file. Is
this as easy as adding a line:

ALL: 24.160.49.154, 24.123.54.138

There was way too much info in the man page!

Todd