I am thinking of buying a Sleekline 1000 PC from PC Power and Cooling. Their
reputation for quiet operation, and 1U configuration which will fit nicely
under the dining table, make it an attractive choice.

I contacted technical support at PC Power and Cooling to ask if it is Linux
compatible. They were very responsive and sent lots of information, but they
could not say for sure that it is Linux compatible, only that they think it
probably is.

I looked around on the web and found nothing about the Sleekline 1000 and
Linux. I found several references to the Shuttle SV24 PC that uses the same
motherboard. One suggested that it worked with FreeBSD so it should work with
Linux too. Several writers indicated that they were thinking of trying to
install Linux. However, I found no statement that someone successfully
installed Linux on a PC using the Shuttle FV24 motherboard. I also checked
both the Newbie and Expert archives with no success.

I've attached the specifications of the PC, the motherboard (Shuttle FV24),
and the modem (IBM 56K V.90). Does it look like I'll be able to install L-M
8.1?

Thanks!

Doug Anderson
New Jersey, USA

---- ---- ---- ----
Sleekline  1000 Features
---- ---- ---- ----
- I GHz Pentium III Processor
- 256MB SDRAM @133MHz (1GB max)
- 40GB IBM HD (7200 RPM, ATA100)
- 24X CD-ROM (DVD/CD0RW Option)
- 3.5" Floppy Drive (Zip Drive Option)
- Integrated AGP (VGA & S-Video)
- Integrated Enhanced Audio
- Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
- Integrated 1394 FireWire Ports
- Sleekline All-Steel, USA-Made Case
- Windows 2000 / XP Options
- NEC 15.1" LCD Monitor Option
- 3-yr Warranty & Free 24/7 Support
---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----
Motherboard Specifications
---- ---- ---- ----
Shuttle Model FV24

VIA PL133

Supports Intel PPGA-370 processors

Chipset
VIA PL133 Chipset
VIA VT8604, North Bridge
Integrated S3 Savage 4 2D/3D Graphic Engine
VIA VT82C686B, South Bridge

Form Factor
Flex ATX
Size: 178mm x 190mm

Processor
Socket 370
Intel FC-PGA Celeron with 66 MHz FSB
Intel FC-PGA Pentium III with 100/133 MHz FSB
Cryrix III Socket 370 CPU series

Expansion Slot
1 x PCI

Memory
2 x DIMM
Support PC133 SDRAM

On board IDE Controller
Support PIO Mode 4 and DMA Mode 2
Supoort Ultra 33/66/100 Synchronous DMA mode

On board I/O Controller
1 x Floppy port
1 x Serial port (16550 fast UART compatible)
1 x Parallel port (SPP, EPP, ECP port)
2 x USB port
2 x 1394 connectors

Chrontel CH7006C TV-out Controller

RTL 8139 LAN Controller

Lucent 1394 Controller

Flash EEPROM
Award PCI BIOS with PnP, Green and DMI Features

Other features
Onboard S3 Savage 4 VGA
Onboard AC97
Onboard 10/100 Fast Ethernet
S-Video and Composite TV-out terminal
Wake-On-Ring & Alarm
KB/Mouse wake up
---- ---- ---- ----

---- ---- ---- ----
IBM 56K V.90 Modem
---- ---- ---- ----

The IBM V.90 Low Profile PCI Modem is a V.90 Data/Fax Modem in a one
half-high PCI form factor.
- Bus Type: PCI 2.2 (must also work in PCI 2.1 bus systems)
- RJ11 telephone line connection at card bracket
- RJ11 telephone/handset connection at card bracket
- 16550 UART or equivalent
- V.250-compatible command set (AT commands)
- Support for Microsoft Plug and Play
- Auto dial/auto answer
- Pulse and touch-tone dialing
- Half and full-duplex