On Tuesday 12 February 2002 15:51, Nicolas VERITE wrote:
> Nicolas VERITE wrote:
[snip]
> > What's that last line ???
> > I ain't got not SCSI host in my box !
> > Shouldn't SCSI devices be named like /dev/sda0 ?
> >
> > # more /etc/fstab
> > /dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> > none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda6 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
> > /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto
> > user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
> > /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
> > user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
> >
> > Oh s**t, it's in my fstab !
> >
> > I'm lost, don't find helpfull enough on MUO...
>
> In HardDrake, I've got twice the same CDROM drive name, except :
> /dev/hdd is labelled 'unknown'
> /dev/scd0 is supposed to be a SCSI drive
> Can't change anything...
>
> In my fstab, the lines concerning removables media aren't the same (?)
>
> There is no /dev/hdd file...
> Can "automount" and/or "supermount" provoke some misconfigurations ?
> Howto know if these "features" are currently working ?
>
> No files in /mnt/cdrom,
> no process using it...
>
> # ll /mnt/cdrom/
> total 0
>
> Oh I forgot to mention, this CD ROM drive is a CD burner...
> The model is Ricoh MP7080A.

Firstly, to use your cdrw for burning cds you need scsi emulation, so don't
freak about the scsi stuff.  And /dev/scdX is correct for cdwriters.  My
external parallel zip is /dev/sdaX.

Check your /etc/lilo.conf file (assuming you're using lilo as your boot
manager) and if necessary edit (as root):  Look for the "label" entry which
matches the option you choose at the lilo boot prompt then look down a couple
of lines for a line that starts wtih append= .  If there isn't one, just add
it:

append=" hdX=ide-scsi"

where X is the ide device letter as seen by your system (in your case I think
its 'd')

For example, mine looks like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-13mdkenterprise
        label=2417-13ent
        root=/dev/hda13
        read-only
        optional
        vga=788
        append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi devfs=nomount mem=nopentium"
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.17-13mdkenterprise.img

** Note my cdrw is /dev/hdc and my cdrom is /dev/hdd.  You can do the same if
you have a cdrom drive and want to copy a cd directly.

After saving the file you need to run lilo to save your changes in the mbr,
so again in a console as root type:

# lilo          ( or # /sbin/lilo)

Reboot and your cdrw should now be recognised correctly.

Secondly, if you're using the standard kernel that comes with ML8.1
(2.4.8-26mdk) then supermount is broken in that kernel.  It works for some
and not for others.  You can disable supermount by typing in a console as
root:

# supermount -i disable

Try manually mounting your cdrw drive.  First insert a cd then in console as
root, type:

# umount /mnt/cdrom
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
# ls /mnt/cdrom

The first line above unmounts the cdrom drive.  Don't worry if it says
'umount: /mnt/cdrom: not mounted'.
The second line mounts the device using the iso9660 filesystem.
And the last line lists files on the mounted cdrom (thats if you didn't get
any errors from the mount command).

If you can manually mount it like this, its really just a matter of clearing
up your fstab file.  However I am not familiar with the correct options for
your cdrw with the 2.4.8-26mdk kernel.  I'm using 2.4.17.13mdkenterprise
kernel with supermount which I think is quite a bit different (other than the
obvious 'supermount').

So can someone using a similar setup please give Nic a hand with his fstab
file?

HTH somewhat

skinky
PS.  Don't forget to make a backup copy of these files before you edit them.
--
oxymoron:  Microsoft Works