On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:57:45 -0500, "Brian J. Trainor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have attempted a recompile of my kernel several times over now and can't
> seem to get it right.  I need to install soundcore into the kernel, but I
> also need to install several different modules in order to stil be able to
> use many of the devices associated with my machine ie NIC, graphics, CD-ROM
> etc.
>
> Before I go to install certain things in either module or kernel, is there a
> way to check my current install to see what I should select to end up with
> similar results?  The only thing NOT working in the plain old first boot
> install is sound.

Look for a file called /boot/config-[KERNELVERSION].

You can copy this to your kernel source directory (e.g. /usr/src/linux) but
rename it to ".config". When you run "make config", "make menuconfig" or "make
xconfig" to configure your kernel, it will use this .config file as a base for
its settings. Modify things however you want, save and compile as usual.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

          "And I have to say that I absolutely despise the BSD people...
        Oh, well. Not everybody can be as goodlooking as me. It's a curse."
                                -- Linus Torvalds