On Thursday, February 14, 2002, at 03:16  AM, Andrei Raevsky wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Thanks for all your comments which, while very interesting, do not
> quite answer my maybe poorly formulated question.  So I will re-phrase
> it: do you know of any comparisons between MAC OS X and Linux which
> would look at aspects such as connectivity, multi-tasking, multi-user
> capability, telnet (how many simultaneous sessions), file system
> comparison (journalling), crash recovery, users and group
> administration, etc.
> Rather than a philosophical comparison with praise or blame I would
> simply seek an objective technical/factual comparison of the "compare
> and contrast" type.
> Many thanks in advance,
> Andrei

Ok to save you some time the only differences are in the file system.
Linux can use the ext2, ext3, JFS, ResierFS or XFS file systems. All
except ext2 are journaling. Mac OS X can use the HFS+ (which is the
recommended one) or the BSD UFS filesystem. At the moment there are no
journaling capabilities available under OS X although FreeBSD's
SoftUpdates are under consideration.

As for the rest I'll run it down item by item

Connectivity? What do you mean by that?

Multi-tasking: Both Linux and Mac OS X have pre-emptive multitasking.

Multi-user: Both OS's can have multiple users logged in at any one time.

Telnet: Thats a setting that can be changed on either OS. Suffice it to
say under normal circumstances no one will reach the limit on either OS.

Crash recovery: What do you mean by this? It crashes, you reboot. You
can use backup software/hardware with either OS.

User and group administration: In addition to the normal Unix users and
groups, you can use NIS on both OS's. OS X on its own has a unique
Netinfo Domain Database system that can be used to admin networks
consisting of clients of any OS. Additionaly SAMBA (SMB) can be
installed and used on both to replicate Windows networking capabilities
(PDC's BDC's...etc).

Mac OS X is closely related to FreeBSD Unix (www.freebsd.org). The core
of OS X (Darwin) inherited a lot of technology/features from FreeBSD.
Since FreeBSD and Linux were already very similar (although not
identical) the differences the user would see were already very little.
This remains so on OS X. By comparing Mac OS X to Linux you're really
just comparing one Unix to another, like Solaris to AIX or HP-UX to
Tru64. What sets Mac OS X apart from other Unix's is its ability to run
regular applications in addition to Unix apps. Things like Microsoft
Office, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Freehand, Internet Explorer,
Quicken, and video games such as Quake, Doom, StarCraft, WarCraft....etc
that are all native to the platform.

And no I don't know of any sites that have an exact comparison, if
anyone else does please post a link to it! It really would be redundant
though since more or less.... *NIX is *NIX.

Blonde Klingons: Because it was a good day to dye!