On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:56:45 +0800
"Tonton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> revealed these words to me:

> Anyone, how can I install a downloaded file?
>
> Here are the filenames I download:
>
> gtk-splitter-0.9a.tar
> HID_fsbench.rar
> j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin
> kmemmon-0.2.tgz
>
> All of this files, when I view this in Linux, all their extension names are all
>ended with asterisk (*) eg. gtk-splitter-0.9a.tar*.

hello 'tsong,

most of the files are 'compressed' files.

> gtk-splitter-0.9a.tar                 <--- tar file. unpack using tar xf [filename]
> HID_fsbench.rar                       <--- rar file. i dont have a decompressor for
>rar files in linux but there is a rar package in the
                                            installation CDs. use that and read the
man page.
> j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin         <--- binary file. execute by typing
>./j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin
> kmemmon-0.2.tgz                       <--- gzipped tar file. unpack using tar zxf
>[filename]

packed files (tar) are like zipped filed but without comperssion. basically its a
group of file joined together. the common contents of tar files are the source codes.
you may find a configure script, a makefile, and some readme files inside thought not
all or maybe nothing at all may be present depending upon the package. be sure to read
the the readme files first. then run the configure script (prepend ./ to the filename)
to create the makefile. then the last steps will be to compile the source codes using
make and, if the make install option is present, install using make install. in the
absence of a make install, you may have to place it in your system manually.

the asterisks when you do a ls command means that they are executables. you can invoke
them using ./[filename].

[for tonton only]
kung me di ka pa maintindihan, pwede mo akong i-email offlist at tingnan natin kung
magagawan natin ng solusyon. or hintayin mo na lang yung mga ibang sagot dito,
depending on the speed of the list.
[/end]

welcome aboard.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079