Hello
I'm trying to install sane 1.0.6 in order to get an epson 1240U scanner
working in Mandrake 8.0.  I have installed the backend, but when I try the
frontend I get the following error message:

*** The sane-config script installed by SANE could not be found
*** If SANE was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the SANE_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to sane-config.
ERROR: Couldn't find SANE libraries (sane-backends). Possible reasons:
     - sane-backends isn't installed (install sane-backends before
       sane-frontends
     - the SANE header files aren't installed (if you installed
       SANE as RPM make sure you also included the sane-devel RPM)
     - the SANE libraries can't be found because /usr/local/lib/ isn't
       searched by the dynamic linker (see INSTALL for details)

I have changed the following line in sane-cofig from   prefix="/usr/local"
to prefix="/usr/local/bin" , guessing that this is the environmental variable.

I have also added the line "usr/local/lib/" to /etc/ld.so.conf and called
ldconfig (as root).
I still get this error message.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,