On Sunday 17 February 2002 13:32, Onur Kucuk wrote:
> RT> I'm sure this one must have been asked and answered before, but
> I RT> can't find it in the archives ....
>
> RT> How do you get Star / Open Office to use a different charset?
> I need RT> Latin5 (iso-8859-9) encoding and can't find anything
> there to set it RT> (choosing language as Turkish has no effect
> either).  Is there some RT> environment variable to set this or
> what?
>
> RT> Robin
>
>  Honestly I could not also realize what "choosing Turkish" does,
>  either.
>
>  The display problem is caused by the default fonts of
>  openoffice/staroffice lacking iso8859-9. To correct this, there is
> a utility in the main folder of the office, spadmin. Spadmin
> manages printers and fonts. Just open it up and show openoffice new
> truetype (ttf) fonts to use, that supports iso8859-9. Choosing "use
> symlinks/softlinks" will prevent wasting space for fonts.

I tried that, both as root and user.  It still defaults to iso8859-1,
as far as I can tell.  A quick fix was to download and install a
couple of "Turkish only" fonts, but I'd still like to be able to
choose between character sets for existing ttf and Type 1 fonts.

IMHO, Open Office would be a better (and smaller!) program if it
stopped trying to duplicate things that are already done perfectly
well by the existing system.  I realise this is extra work if you're
developing a cross-platform application, but why not just use the
existing X-fonts, use CUPS or lpd for printing, and even Qt/Tk for
widgets etc.?  (I suspect the answer would be "If you want that, use
KOffice," but KOffice, although it's an impressive application, is
really not my cup of tea.)

Robin

Robin

--
"Never mind the quality, feel the bandwidth."

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey