Prashant Nayak wrote:
> > Could someone please tell the best "How-To" resource available for Linux on
> > the net?

Well, the ldp (Linux Documentation Project) is the "canonical" source
for HOWTOs -- try www.linuxdoc.org.

If you are looking for HOWTOs in a more general sense, try this page:
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LinuxResources.  So far these
are mostly focused at the newbie level.  I have a few other similar
pages aimed at specific subjects, like EmailResources.  Not much that
would help you with your networking question, IIRC.

And, learn to use Google.  It's easy enough, but you have to develop a
knack for framing a good query.

Aside: The page listed above is one of the pages on Wikilearn, which I
hope will one day be a good source of "How to" information.

> > In the meantime, why is it that I can't ping my new Mandrake installation. I
> > know connectivity is there because I access the web from this box through my
> > MSWindows-hosted internet sharing. I just need a way to prove that I can
> > "talk" to/from this box from/to other boxes on the network. This is the
> > first Linux box on the network.

So, presumably you can ping from the new Mandrake system to the
MSWindows box hosting the internet sharing?  But you can't ping from the
Windows box back to the Mandrake box?  Do you have a firewall
installed?  Where?  Maybe it's blocking the ping? (I'm not sure -- I
think my firewall (ZoneAlarm) will block pings.)

Randy Kramer