Well, I had the similar problems in so many different situations. Sometimes
windows could and linux could not; linux could and not windows; both could ...
etc etc etc. In linux I was always able to resolve it but not in windows
(Excpet for reinstall reinstall reinstall.....) It can be so many things but
here are somethings that you can try:

a) Network mounts that are busy or not unmounting correctly.
b) trouble mounts in general.
C) heck ,for that matter some automounts can cause problems but I have not
seen this lately.
d)Certain hung processes. this one is hard to solve sometimes.
c) USB devides acting up. I have had 2 different webcams acting up (either
itself or the driver not handeling it correctly).