Hi

I just installed Mandrake 8.0 and when prompted for a mouse type, having a
PS/2 Mecer Wheelmouse and after I could not find a Mecer choice, I chose
Generic PS/2 Wheelmouse.  After installation, I was presented with the X
login screen and found that the mouse pointer would not move and that the
keyboard was frozen too.  After a reboot, I was prompted for accepting new
hardware found.  I accepted, I think it actually said that it found a Generic
PS/2 Mouse, and at the login prompt both the keyboard and mouse worked
fine. I logged in using KDE.  However, after powering down and up again,
kudzu reported that a change in hardware was found and reported that the
previous mouse detected can now not be found. I accepted the change,
rebooted and found that it now never detects the mouse and always hangs
at the login prompt.  I rebooted in text console mode, and ran mousedrake.
I chose Standard PS/2 mouse and rebooted, but still, it hangs.  I then tried
using an old serial 3 button Mecer mouse, and this works fine.  Which type
of mouse should I choose for the Mecer Wheelmouse, and how can I fix this
problem?  BTW, in the XF86Config file, under pointer section, the protocol is
"PS/2". I read somewhere that for an Intellimouse, the protocol should be
"IMPS/2".  Would that be a solution for me?

Many thanks,

Eugene