On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:20:07 -0500, Hanan Shargi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> a quick Question, I d/l Mozilla 0.9.8 rpm's for Mandrake and I was reading the
> installation instruction, it said somewhere that it is better to uninstall the
> old mozilla before installing the new release.
> my Q is : can't I just use the rpm upgrade option instead of uninstalling ?

You are less likely to have problems if you uninstall the old version first. I
know I had some problems when I upgraded to Mozilla 0.9.8.

> will that save my bookmarks though ?!

Your bookmarks should be saved in ~/.mozilla directory. The contents of your ~
(home) directory are completely separate from the actual application files that
the RPM installs. Your user data will be safe if you remove Mozilla.

> if uninstalling is required...how can I do that :) ?

  # rpm -e FILE...

Mozilla consists of several packages. You need to uninstall and reinstall all of
them to have a full implementation of 0.9.8:

libjs
libnspr4
libnspr4-devel
libnss3
libnss3-devel
mozilla
mozilla-devel
mozilla-dom-inspector
mozilla-irc
mozilla-js-debugger
mozilla-mail
mozilla-xmlterm

If you have dependency problems with Nautilus, Galeon or Evolution when removing
the packages, use the --nodeps switch. Dependency problems with anything else
may indicate that something is wrong. The --force switch should only be used if
you really know what you're doing, since there is a good chance that you'll
break something in your system. If you use your system carefully enough, you
shouldn't ever have to use --force.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "Are you all on drugs? Get your acts together, guys.
           Stop blathering and frothing at the mouth...."
                        -- Linus Torvalds