On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:59:54 -0800, you wrote:

>Only if I do it through the internet, as in:
>ping ip#.
>
>Trying to ping with the computer names the cable company gave me doesn't
>work (these are the names I am attempting to use as the computer names for
>samba).

I wonder if it's a real 'ping' response.  Some routers have been known
to say 'I recognise that device' and respond to ping accordingly
without passing the ping through the router so that the real device is
given a chance to respond.  This can be a pain to debug:  You're
pinging happily but nothing else works.  I wouldn't believe this
either if I hadn't seen it and the anquish on the tech's faces once
they realised.

Try looking at your computers own names and network setup.  You
shouldn't need the cable company to tell you the computer names.  They
are normally the netbios names.

Consider posting more setup details.  They may offer the clue we need.

Tony