Do you have "Restore session when logging in next time" checked on the logout box?
That is also available in the Control Panel>System>Session Manager.  If it's checked
(it is checked by default) uncheck it.  If that doesn't work for your problem, log-in
and kill all the processes that you don't want running. Then log-out with the "Restore
session when logging in next time" box checked.  That should fix it.

e.