Hi all,

I came up to my computer to send a quick e-mail, and I noticed my network
meter was way to active for sending e-mail, so I did a netstat and found the
following:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0  36500 mike.miark.net:33257    65.115.250.113:41004    ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 mike.miark.net:33075    64.245.59.27:ftp        ESTABLISHED

As soon as I saw this, I disconnected my dial-up computer which is a Win98
laptop running WinRoute.

I had played with WinRoute's portmapping before, where I made one rule that
anything coming in to that IP address and on port 35000 would be forwarded
to my Linux box on port 80 (so that a colegue could connect to my web server).

But this doesn't quite fit. First, the port numbers mentioned in netstat don't match.
Second, I can't find a record of the foreign IP addresses in my logs. Third, the
second item says "ftp" but I wasn't running proftp at the time.

How do I learn more about what happened?

Miark